DIRECTIONS FOR EE590 and TEMPLATES
金融工程paper代写 Use the template below to write your proposal that describes what you plan to do. If you do not know what topic/problem you like to work
EVERY MSFINE STUDENT SHOULD COMPLETE AN INDEPENDENT PROJECT IN ORDER TO GRADUATE
The procedure for signing up for EE590 (one unit) is as follows.
- Use the template below to write your proposal that describes what you plan to do. If you do not know what topic/problem you like to work on follow the instructions for a topic below or talk to Prof.
- Once Prof approves your proposal you go ahead and register on myviterbi website and indicate Professor Ioannou as the supervisor.
STRICT DEADLINES FOR PROPOSALS AND REGISTRATION
Summer: Between May 15 and June 1st
Fall: Between August 15 and September 1st
Spring: Between January 15 and January 31st
The proposal file name should have the following
EE590_Proposal_Last Name_First Name.doc
The proposal should include the last page with a signature confirming that the check list is read. 金融工程paper代写
STRICT DEADLINES FOR DRAFT AND FINAL REPORT
Summer: Draft Report July 20, Final Report August 1st
Fall: Draft Report November 20, Final Report December 1st
Spring: Draft Report April 20, Final Report May 1st
The draft report file name should have the following
EE590_Draft Report_Last Name_First Name.doc
and Final report
EE590_Final Report_Last Name_First Name.doc
The Report should include the last page with a signature confirming that the check list is read.
Note that the Draft Final Report should be a complete report, the best you can do. If approved right away it will be accepted as the final report. If there are any revisions, then you will be asked to make them and submit as final report. DO NOT SUBMIT A HALF DONE REPORT FOR FEEDBACK. YOU WILL ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE FOR REVISION. THERE IS NO BACK AND FORTH REVISIONS.
If the 20th or 1st is weekend (Saturday or Sunday or a University holiday) then the following working day becomes the deadline.
The draft report will be reviewed and if no changes are necessary it will be approved as Final Report. If changes are suggested they need to be completed and submitted as Final Report before the above deadlines for Final Report.
NO LATE PROPOSALS OR FINAL REPORTS WILL BE ACCEPTED 金融工程paper代写
PLIAGIARISM: Any identified form of plagiarism will be reported to the University and in addition to receiving no credit for EE590 the graduation of the student may be affected. All past reports are kept and a software program is used to identify overlaps with past reports and literature. If you use figures or tables or diagrams from a website or papers you need to indicate that and include the reference..
PROPOSAL TEMPLATE (at least 4 pages long including cover page)
Use the structure and format below. Do not repeat the questions/instructions in blue.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you write correct English and use the word speller to correct all spelling errors. Proposals with spelling or grammar mistakes will be returned.
Use fond size 11 , space 1.15, Times New Romans, Border space Normal 1inc from sides and top and bottom. The use of extra space to fill pages or using large side spaces is not allowed. If you copy graphs, figures or tables from any source you need to indicate so and provide a reference. Cut and paste of text from papers or reports and presenting as yours is plagiarism and is not allowed. If you reference sources in the text you need to include a reference list after the deliverables. Label all your Figures and tables and add captions that state what is the Figure or Table about. The Table number is indicated on top of table and Figure no under the Figure.
Template starts after the line.
COVER PAGE (1 page)
EE590 Project Proposal
Title of Project:
Proposed Work 金融工程paper代写
(min 1 page). What is the problem you are trying to solve and why is it important? Be very specific
(min 1 page). What approach are you going to use to solve the problem? What software tools are you planning to use? What assets and how many are you analyzing if any?
3.Testing Approach or Model (Validation)
(min 1 page). How are you going to test your approach or model to see how well it does? If you use the same data that you used to develop your approach and train your model these data cannot be used to test the validity of your approach. You need to use new data not used for training to test your approach. In this section specify what data you will use for developing or training your models and what data for testing i.e. validation
Example of validation: Let us assume that you used historical data from 1/1/2010 to 1/1/2017 to develop a model that predicts future asset returns. Then you use data from 1/1/2017 to May 2018 say to verify whether the model predicted returns were actually achieved as predicted by the model by comparing them with the actual returns during the period 1/1/2017 to May 2018. This process is called validation.
4.Deliverables and Expected Outcome 金融工程paper代写
(1/2 to 1 page) Write what you will deliver at the end of the project to me. For example: Final report, Software code ready to run and whatever you believe is a deliverable needs to be stated. Even though obvious you need to state it. Who can use your results and how?
5.References ( no page limit)
Include all references and sources of information you have mentioned in your proposal. DO NOT LIST REFERENCES NOT MENTIONED IN PROPOSAL OTHERWISE YOUR PROPOSAL WILL BE RETURNED
6.Check list page with signature
The proposal should be written in correct English.
DIRECTIONS FOR TOPIC
You are encouraged to come up with your own topic. If you cannot below are some ideas:
Start with a $1 million hypothetical portfolio. Choose any of the following:
- Invest fully in bonds. Invest all money in bonds by looking into risk, returns and diversification plus immunization for low sensitivity to interest rates
- Invest in a number of stocks that you analyze using optimization to maximize return or minimize risk or both
- Invest in mutual funds that you analyze for diversification, risk, return, manager performance and other criteria and use optimization to select a mix that maximizes return or minimizes risk or a combination.
Use part of real data from past to set up your portfolio. Use remainder of past data to check whether what you expected to get is confirmed. For example if you set up a portfolio with an expected return of 15% did you get it?
FINAL REPORT TEMPLATE (at least 8 pages long excluding references , cover page and appendix) 金融工程paper代写
Preferred that is written in word
IMPORTANT: Make sure you write correct English and use the word speller to correct all spelling errors. Reports with spelling or grammar mistakes will be returned.
DO NOT REPEAT INSTRUCTIONS (indicated in blue) IN YOUR REPORT
Use fond size 11 , space 1.15, Times New Romans, Border space Normal 1inch from sides and top and bottom. The use of extra space to fill pages or use of large side spaces is not allowed. If you copy graphs, figures or tables from any source you need to indicate so and provide a reference. Cut and paste of text from papers or reports and presenting as yours is plagiarism and offenders will be penalized with no credit. All reports will be checked for overlaps using a plagiarism software tool.
No software code should be including in the report. You can send any code in a separate file or add in an appendix.
Do not copy equations from books or papers and write them down to fill space. You write down only the equations you use and show how you used them in generating your results.
A final report is about what you did so sentences copied from the proposal such as ‘I will do this’, or ‘I plan to do that’ make no sense as the report should be about what you already did not what you plan to do.
Template starts after the line.
Cover Page (one page)
Course: EE590 Project Report
(1 to 2 paragraphs)
- Describe what problem you considered
- How you solved it
- What are the results and conclusions
( 1 to 2 pages)
- Describe in more detail what problem you are addressing
- Why is it important
- What method you used
- What are the results? Describe them in a couple of sentences. This is not the place to list them
- What is the conclusion
- Figures and tables should be labeled. Under the figure you write as an example ‘ Figure ? Return vs Time’
( 1 to 2 pages)
- Describe clearly the problem you are considering.
- What are you trying to achieve by addressing the problem
( 4 to 6 pages)
- Describe the method you use and why you chose it
- Describe clearly how you used it to generate the results
- DO NOT SIMPLY WRITE FORMULAS COPIED FROM BOOKS. SHOW YOU PLAN TO USE THEM TO CALCULATE TERMS
- Describe what data you need and where you found them
- Give a reference where you got them from
( 2 to 3 pages)
- Describe your results and their significance
- Use tables and graphs to explain your results
- Describe whether your objectives and goals have been achieved
( 2 to 3 paragraphs)
- Describe your conclusions
- What is the significance of your results
( as many pages as needed)
- List all references and websites that you used and you referenced in the report. DO NOT INCLUDE ANY REFERENCE THAT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE TEXT.
7.Check list page with signature
Appendix (as many pages as needed): Software used, list of Data etc
- Attached software code used ready to run i.e matlab code, excel etc
Check List for Proposal and Final Report 金融工程paper代写
- Structure of document: fond, spaces, minimum number of required pages. Fond should be 11 or 12. Space should be single or 1.15. Margins should be 1in all around
- All abbreviationsare defined when first appeared
- All figures and tablesare labeled with numbers and captions
- Figures, tables, diagrams, pictures taken from the web or papers should include the source otherwise it is plagiarism
- No text should be copied and paste from anywhere as it is plagiarism. If you quote someone you should put it under “….” and identify the source as a reference but it should not be more than a couple of lines.
- All listed references should be mentioned in text
- Grammar and English should be carefully checked . No report with typos and grammatical errors will be accepted. Check the tenses. Some students tend to use parts of the proposal that uses the words ‘I will’ , ‘I plan’ etc. The final report should state what you did not plan to do.
I confirm that my proposal/report abides with the above guidelines